Thursday, December 18, 2008

Book 3 Part 3 Blog Two Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier pages 154-end

“Only thieves and children run.
I reached the center of the square and stopped in the circle of tiles with the eight-pointed star in the middle. Each point indicated a direction I could take.
I could go back to my parents.
I could find Pieter at the Meat Hall and agree to marry him.
I could go to van Ruijven’s house-he would take me in with a smile.
I could go to van Leeuwenhoek and ask him to take pity on me.
I could go to Rotterdam and search for Frans.
I could go off on my own somewhere far away.
I could go back to Papists’ Corner.
I could go into the New Church and pray to God for guidance.
I stood in my circle, turning round and round as I thought. When I made my choice, the choice I knew I had to make, I set my feet carefully along the edge of the point and went the way it told me, walking steadily.” (Chevalier, Girl with a Pearl Earring 216)

This novel – unlike A Complicated Kindness or Memoirs of a Geisha does not end with the protagonist fulfilling her desires, or her dreams coming true. Rather Griet “makes the decision she knew she had to make”. Her entire life would b spent with a man she didn’t feel for the way he felt for her, instead she would picture her master, and in a way he would be with her forever.

This is one of the most dramatic scenes in the novel, and with it Chevalier illustrates to the reader the image of Griet standing at a crossroad, thinking of her options and how the decision she will make will impact the rest of her life.

This quote reveals the theme of a destined future or the hope of a better tomorrow. Griet makes the decision that would make the best out of her future. Marrying the butcher’s son, although she could not share his love, would be the best option for her. She could provide her parents with adequate food, and she would be well of with him.

The reader feels heart wrenching feeling after having read this quote. Griet never does find love and happiness. She is pulled towards Pieter at the eight-pointed star because she feels it is her duty to marry a man and give her parents as much as they’ve giving to her. By marrying Pieter her parents would no longer have to starve, and she would know that with Pieter would provide her with endless love and the best possible life he could give her. Chevalier proves that not every story ends with a happily ever after, and not everyone has their freedom to grasp their chance at love and happiness.

1 comment:

Amelia G. said...

Great Analysis. I like the use of your lterary terms. I guess sometimes you have to do things that you wont like but the results will be good. And especially if its for your parents who have given you literally everything, they deserve something in return. This character may not have gotton what she wanted but maybe she will live happily ever after with the one she married later on.Keep up the good work