Sunday, September 21, 2008

Choices, Choices! Research Post Girl with a Pearl Earring:

Girl with a Pearl Earring was written by Tracy Chevalier in 1999. It’s a historical novel, takes place in 17th century Delft, Holland and was inspired by Vermeer's painting “Girl with a Pearl Earring”. It portrays the fictional circumstances under which the painting was created. It was adapted into a 2003 film with the same name.

A 16 year old girl, Griet, is employed as a maid in the painter Vermeer's house. While in working there, she begins to have romantic situations with Pieter, the butcher's son. Slowly, Griet's relationship with Vermeer changes. He gets her to run household tasks, while keeping it a secret from the rest of the house, especially his perceptive wife. Soon Vermeer decides to paint Griet wearing his wife Catharina's pearl earrings. When Catharina discovers this, Griet is forced to leave.

Ten years later, after Griet has married Pieter and settled down as a mother and butcher's wife, she is called back to the house. Vermeer is dead, and his will had included that Griet accept the two pearl earrings, which she then pawns, settling a long over due debt between the butcher shop and the Vermeers.

2 comments:

Ms.C said...

Have you seen the movie? I find it difficult to read a novel after having seen the movie.

Maja said...

No I haven't seen the movie yet. I hear the book's better though. I'm going to see it after I'm finished the book.