The types of literature I have come to enjoy are realistic fiction in comedic, romantic and dramatic novels. I like reading books that have been turned into successful blockbuster movies. “The Devil Wears Prada” was one of my favourites, along with “Legally Blonde”. I’m interested in others such as “A Walk to Remember” by Nicholas Sparks, “Girl with a Pearl Earring” by Tracy Chevalier and “Someone like You and That Summer” by Sarah Dessen turned into the movie “How to Deal”. I guess I read these types of books because they’re ‘safe’ and I know they have an interesting and award winning plot line. It would be good if I could read novels out of my comfort zone, where although they didn’t make it to the big screen, they were still valid and compelling novels.
I am curious about other genres of literature such as mystery and action adventure. I really like action movies and find that it would be interesting to read an action novel. I’d like to see how the author translates the ‘action’ that I’m so used to seeing illustrated in the film world – written and portrayed in a book.
I’ve never read science fiction and fantasy outside of the few in-school novel assignments. I don’t see myself captivated into a fantastical world, and quite frankly cannot compose myself to believe the outrageous things that go on in a fantasy. I think I’d be very critical of witches, flying unicorns and other fantasy creatures in the whimsical setting of a fantasy novel. Maybe I haven’t learned to value diverse literature and the means by which its writing is conveyed, but one of the reasons why I chose this course was to gain appreciation for all kinds of literature and so I hope that by the end I will be able to immerse myself into all kinds of literature.
5 comments:
Well thought- out! I am looking forward to seeing what you discover through our library assignment!
I admit fantasy novels can be a little strange, but they are also really fun to read. I'm reading the 'Devil Wears Prada' right now and I've also other books by her, which I enjoyed.
I have never read the books you have, but would like to by the sounds of it, and I also loved all the movies. The thing with fantasy books is you have to be able to open up your imagination, and have an open mind, but if it is not "your thing" then it’s not, but you should give it a shot, they're always really good. I would also like to know how an action book would be, I would like to try the Bourne books, I hear they are really good, plus the movies were awesome.
I agree Maria and Fawziya, I think I should be more open minded about fantasy books.
Fawziya, I heard about the Bourne books too! People say they're goood!
Post a Comment