Monday, September 22, 2008

My Impressions of “A Complicated Kindness” by Miriam Toews

After reading the first chapter of A Complicated Kindness, these are some comments I had:

I really like this book! It’s witty, funny and heartbreaking - without being depressing.

In the first chapter, the protagonist Nomi Nickel is giving us a background summary of her home, her family, and the town which she grew up in. She tells us that her sister moved out and her mom disappeared shortly after that. She lives with her dad, and is unfortunately destined to work at the local chicken slaughterhouse.

The genre of this novel is coming of age, and the themes reflect independence and confidence in this young woman while trying to find herself, along with doing what she can to get by – even if it means doing something she doesn’t like or would rather not do.

I can’t wait to read this book. It sounds like it’ll be an exuberant read!

No comments: